Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Recipe #100 - Icebox Butter Cookies


Sorry for slacking. What is my excuse? I don't have one. So there.
But here I am, I am back. I am ready to take on my next challenge.

I got 8 responses to the last post suggesting numbers for me, and out of those 8, random number generator told me lucky response #2 would be the winner. So, Rachel picked number 1. Well guess what folksies. The recipes in the book don't start till the 30s-40s! So I decided to add two 0's to the end of Rachel's number 1 and get 100. That sounds fair, right? I think so, I suppose.
This doesn't mean that you should start only picking numbers above 30. It just means I will change the rules as I see fit, because I can do that sort of thing.

See? Random number generator doesn't lie.

So the next recipe is icebox butter cookies! More butter! Yay! With all of the butter I'm purchasing I should probably buy stock in it. Can you do that? Buy stock in butter? I have no idea how that sort of thing works. You know what, don't even tell me, you'll just confuse me. I bet there is math involved somehow.

So here is what the talented (yet crazy) Ms. Stewart has to say about icebox cookies.

"Since you slice and bake only what you need, these logs of dough are great to keep on hand for when guests drop by or for when you're in the mood for just a few cookies..."

Let me stop you there, Martha. No one "stops by" my house unannounced. I would shoot them. Do you know what my house usually looks like? It looks like a nuclear bomb went off. A nuclear bomb that was filled with dirty dishes and cat toys. So I won't be needing these cookies for my unannounced visitors. Secondly, when am I ever in the mood for "just a few" cookies. When I want cookies, I want to eat them by the dozens. I want to pour them down my gaping maw while cackling hilariously and counting down the moments until my sugar induced coma.

That last part isn't so much true, but the first part definitely is. Where were we?

"They can be kept in the freezer, wrapped well in plastic and parchment, for up to three weeks; let dough sit at room temperature for thirty minutes before slicing. To help logs hold their shape, chill them first in empty paper-towerl tubes"

I don't know. That sounds like a load of crap to me. Empty paper towel tubes? This sounds like too much work. I have a feeling my cookies will not be perfectly round. They will probably have a flat bottom. Much like myself. (Ha, who am I kidding?).

So this recipe offers three variations for the types of cookies I can make. I guess this means I get to choose! One is just regular boring, I guess like a sugar cookie of types, one has chopped nuts (who cares? Boring), and the other has CHOCOLATE FLAKES! I think these are like snow flakes, but made of chocolate. Therefore, I am in.

These look ridiculously easy, so I will probably be able to knock these out in a few days. Maybe in between that time I will have a chance to write to you about the cake disaster I made for Easter. (By the way, I hold myself to ridiculously high standards, everyone else thought the cake was fine, I thought it tasted like garbage).

Here is what Martha says the icebox butter cookies should look like.


mmm cookie logs

4 comments:

  1. Is the dough recipe the same for all three cookie types? If so... couldn't all three cookie types be made, just by having some chocolate flakes and nuts on hand?

    ... Just saying. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, anonymous, that is not how it works. You nut lover.
    Well, that might be how it works, I didn't check.
    But still, no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the outcome, my dear. <3 you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say, your two objections to Martha sound like what Matt & I would respond saying...especially the first part. not even our parents show up un-announced. Or maybe ESPECIALLY are parents know not to show up un-announced. We just refuse to open the door. Even if the car is in the driveway.

    ReplyDelete